Independent Mental Health Advocacy

How we can support you

Find out more about who we can support.

If you’re eligible, we can support you to:

We can also arrange an interpreter. Find out more about help in your language.

IMHA can represent your views to your mental health and wellbeing service with your consent. Your IMHA advocate:

  • will act as directed by you
  • will not take action without your consent
  • will not be guided by what others may consider to be in your best interests, if you are at least 16 years of age. If you are 15 years of age or younger, IMHA will promote your views and work with your family, carers, and supporters to ensure your best interests are protected.

What we can't do

We do not:

  • provide medical or legal advice
  • state a preference about any course of action you wish to take
  • try to convince you to make a decision or comply with actions that others believe is in your ‘best interests’
  • represent you at Mental Health Tribunal hearings
  • provide case management or advocate on behalf of carers.

While we will give you general information about your rights, we do not provide legal representation or specific advice about your situation.

If you require legal help, ask your advocate to put you in touch with Victoria Legal Aid.

Contact us

Call us on 1300 947 820 between 9.30 am and 4.30 pm Monday to Friday, use our online form or email

We have First Nation advocates. Let us know if you would like to speak to a First Nation advocate.

If you are in hospital and can’t access a phone, ask a staff member or support person to get in touch with us on your behalf.

By law, we will contact you at key points if you are experiencing compulsory treatment. Learn how to tell us not to contact you.

Reviewed 23 May 2024


Was this page helpful?