Independent Mental Health Advocacy

Other services that can help

We have a list of mental health service providers, who can provide advice and referral information.

Other services that can help

Mental health services

The Department of HealthExternal Link is responsible for publicly funded mental health services.

They have a list of mental health service providersExternal Link , who can provide advice and referral information.

Other services that may be able to help you are:

Other support services

Services for people who are or have experienced family violence and/or sexual assault:

Support with drug and alcohol addiction

Complaints about your mental health treatment

Our service can support you to have more say over your treatment, but other services can assist you to make a complaint about your mental health treatment:

If you have not been treated fairly by the police you can make acomplaint about police.External Link

You can also make a complaint about harassment or discriminationExternal Link , if this has happened to you.

Victoria Legal Aid has free information about the lawExternal Link and legal problems such as family breakdown and family violence, child support, Centrelink problems, fines and criminal matters. Victoria Legal Aid lawyers may also be able to provide representation at Mental Health Tribunal hearings.

The Mental Health Legal Centre providesExternal Link a free and confidential legal service to anyone who has experienced mental illness in Victoria where their legal problem relates to their mental illness.

Your local community legal centreExternal Link can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

The Law Institute of VictoriaExternal Link can refer you to a private lawyer who can give you legal advice and represent you in court.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in theLegal Referral ServiceExternal Link provide a free 30-minute interview. If you book an interview, write your questions down beforehand, so you get as much out of the free 30 minutes as possible. If you discuss getting further help from the lawyer, make sure you know how much it will cost.

Guardianship and administration orders

The Office of the Public AdvocateExternal Link is an independent statutory office, working to promote the rights, interests and dignity of Victorians with a disability. It provides advice about advocacy, guardianship, powers of attorney, and consent to medical and dental treatment.

Victoria Legal Aid has further information about Guardianship and administrationExternal Link matters.

Reviewed 27 August 2023